ovaltine sandwiches

Friday, December 03, 2004

An Old Flame Rekindled

Last night, while making sandwiches, my cellphone's keypad went berserk. I could receive messages but I couldn't read them because the buttons refused to function. So I drove home with a useless phone amidst typhoon Yoyong's impending wrath.

When I got home, I tried to fix my phone in candlelight (it was brown out) but to no avail. Worse, one of the keypad's buttons fell off. I was feeling very frustrated so I unearthed my old battery-less Nokia 3310 from my drawer, thinking that I could borrow my mom's phone battery (she uses a 3315) so I could at least read my text messages. Well, my mom's phone was fairly new and with all my might, I couldn't remove the stubborn case to retrieve her battery.

Sighing in frustration, I got my dysfunctional phone's battery, which was a lot smaller, and tried to fit it in my chunky 3310. And whaddyaknow, it worked! I just crumpled up bits of newspaper and filled up the space to make the small battery snug and stable inside my old phone. Within seconds, I was texting away.
I didn't sleep right away last night because I kept fawning over my old 3310, re-exploring its menu and admiring its sturdiness. Sure, it's an outdated phone, but it's still reliable. I've had it for 3 years and only changed it when its battery conked out last July. Suddenly, old memories were re-awakened, and the phone became a landmark of past events. I used it when I was still in 5 and up, when Spanky and I were still in the pa-cute stage, when I went to Batanes, when I was agonizing over Art is-kool duties, etc. I realized that my phone and I had gone through a lot.

Until now, I still can't stop marveling at my new, old phone. I feel like I've reunited with an old friend, or with an old flame. After a 4-month fling with a slicker, more high tech phone, I've realized that the simple, quiet things last longer than the flashy ones.

3 Comments:

  • I really like the way you write. You make simple things sound so interesting. No bola! This entry reminds me of my Alcatel phone. I still miss its quirky ring tone.

    By Blogger Jennifer Yap Caspe, At 5:43 PM  

  • Naks, na-affirm ako. Thanks!

    By Blogger bakya, At 8:04 AM  

  • Can i just tell you that I'm super happy that I feel my heart's gonna burst if I don't tell another person? Reason 1: Reader's Digest is publishing my story--my first full-length article in an international magazine! Reason 2: I just got an offer to work for a new life-style show in one of the top networks here. Reason 3: And I just had a long talk with the most fascinating man I've ever met and I'm fully convinced that I'm going to marry him someday. Grabe! And these happened all in one weekend. God is good!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 1:20 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home