ovaltine sandwiches

Friday, July 23, 2004

Phony Blues

Living without a cellphone has now become unthinkable.  Two days ago, my precious trinket broke down.  Well, it isn’t quite so precious—I mean, I’ve been using the same Nokia 3310 model for the past 3 years—but still, it’s precious in the sense that it’s my communication tool to the outside world.

The funny thing is that when I have out-of-town gimmicks, my cellphone loses its charm.  After all, who cares about the outside world when you’re ooh-ing and aah-ing at the spectacular view?  But in Manila, where there’s no view to enchant me, I need the cellphone to convince myself that I am in touch with the rest of the world.  Not having a cellphone feels like the world is revolving without me.

When I was home alone yesterday, without my cellphone, I immediately went online for some human contact via the YM.  To my dismay, I didn’t find anyone online.  Even my friend, who was always online in her office, wasn’t there!  Desperately, I sent her a message, demanding “Why are you NOT online?”  And after a few seconds, she replied.  It turned out that she was only in invisible mode.  She only appeared offline when she was really online.  (For those who want to hide from certain people.)  So we chatted for a while, and I was able to momentarily cure my CDD (Cellphone Deficiency Disorder).

I also went to the mall yesterday to check out the phones, but I found them all too pricey (or maybe I’m just a cheapskate).  After all, my knowledge of cellphone models ended with the 3310.  Pathetic, I know.  I wanted to get one of those gadgety mobiles with built-in cameras so I can finally upload photos here.  But they all seemed to be beyond financial reach. 

As providence would have it, Spanky’s friend is selling his one-year-old phone (with a camera, yay!) for half the price.  I’m playing it cool, saying that I’ll first try it out and if I find it ok, then maybe, I’ll buy it. Rrrrright.  In my desperation to have a phone ASAP, I’ll probably buy it on the spot.  After all, I'm not going on an out-of-town trip anytime soon. 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SPANKY! :) 

1 Comments:

  • NO WONDER! No wonder you didn't respond when I asked you to please greet Spanky a happy birthday for me, and if he would like to receive a chocolate cake for his birthday, because I know this really great place that sells them. :) Go treat yourself with a new phone!

    By Blogger Data Tolentino-Canlas, At 6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home