ovaltine sandwiches

Friday, December 31, 2004

Janus Joplin

In a couple of hours, this year will end. But even when January starts, the year really won’t be over. Janus (I just read this somewhere so facts may be sketchy), the literally two-faced god from which January is derived, has one face looking back and the other looking forward. January is that transitional month when we tie up loose ends from the past, then finally cut ties with it to face the future. And being caught between the past and the future is exactly how I feel now.

Oh, it’s not too dramatic. It only concerns a job. Right, just a job. Some of us might just shrug off job matters, saying it’s just part of life and not your whole life. Some of us may complain about our jobs often, even to the point of bragging, and just try to get the most of it by partying or buying expensive things. But I think we should treat a job like it’s really a part of our lives—part of our happiness.

I look at my older brother and see how he loathes his job, but still hangs on to it because he has a family. I see his anger, his frustration, but most of all, I see his fear.

When I ask him if he wants to change his career, he says yes, but immediately shrugs his shoulders and sighs. He feels it’s too late for a change. I think for one to have a happy life, one must be happy with his or her job.

Which brings me to my simple dilemma, which doesn’t sound quite as simple right now. Should I keep the high-paying, unliked job and be emotionally unfulfilled but have money and security for the rest of the year? Or should I, once again, take a leap of faith and believe that there is something out there better for me?

I am Janus sitting on a fence. But I think I already have the answer before I've even recognized it.




Oh well, here's to 2004--the swiftest year I've ever experienced! I'd like to think it flew because I had fun. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home