ovaltine sandwiches

Friday, May 20, 2005

Self Surprise

I've always detested selling. For me I've pictured selling as forcing (or more nicely put, convincing) people that whatever you're offering is actually a basic need. I can never be that convincing. So for me, a career in business (or selling) was out of the question.

Enter life after Probe. Spanky and I thought of putting up Monsterbites. Fast forward to a year later. Yes, we're still making sandwiches, but I don't think we're really actively marketing it. We've pared down our sandwich making to once a week, supplying to the same badminton place we've been catering to for a year. The business (which was supposed to be our main source of income) became our sideline. Heck, we earn more by being employees.

But a week ago, meeting my highschool friend changed my perspective. She had designed some blouses and because of her unexpected pregancy, she needed help in selling them. And I surprised myself by volunteering my services. This meant real selling. As in going to friends and showing the shirts and convincing them to buy. Was I up for that?

Now these shirts (more like blouses with t-shirt material) have low necklines. I never wear those types. I'm more of the standard baby-tee girl. But when I tried selling, I had to wear one of these shirts to show how they looked like. With a trusty push-up bra underneath, I sold those shirts. I mustered enough courage to actually wear plunging! And guess what, I didn't look too bad.

Now, I have sold 7 shirts and have orders for 17 more. Looks good on paper, but actually when I've computed my earnings, they only amount to my gas fare for a week. Oh well. But the more important thing is I've realized that I can actually sell. And selling is not an entirely evil thing. I do get fulfillment from having satisfied customers. And those blouses do look purty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home