ovaltine sandwiches

Saturday, April 14, 2007

sweet inspi

Thanks to fellow Kuting Cynthia, I discovered Joan Bauer, my current fave Young Adult author. I've just finished her novel Thwonk which I really liked and now I'm reading Squashed, her first novel which won the School Library Jornal Best Book of the Year.


And this she advises to aspiring writers:

Risk yourself on the pages. By that I mean --- think about what you know, where you’ve been, what difficulties you’ve experienced, examine what you know about human nature (the good and the bad), give your characters dreams and nightmares, give them people who can help them along the way. Don’t be afraid to write about some of the rough things that have happened to you. That’s when power streams in writing, when we’ve touched those links to pain and real life. Also, it’s important to read quality writing, not junk. When I’m writing a book, I’m always reading several adult novels for inspiration. Write about things you care about --- passion will carry you through when the work feels stuck. Listen to criticism, try to learn how to make things better. Don’t be afraid to revise your work. Revision is the biggest word in my life --- I’m at it constantly. Know, too, that not everything you write will work, but it all works together to make you a better writer. Write your ideas down, take your desire to write seriously. Oh yeah --- and don’t forget to have fun, too. Let your heart go wild on the pages sometimes.

http://www.teenreads.com/authors/au-bauer-joan.asp

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home